NEWS

Concessions will be extended to people vaccinated with Sinovac when evidence justifies it, says Ong Ye Kung

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

SINGAPORE: Concessions on safe management measures will be extended to people vaccinated with Sinovac’s COVID-19 vaccine when there is enough evidence to justify it, said Health Minister Ong Ye Kung in Parliament onMonday (Jul 26).

“The data on the efficacy of the Sinovac vaccine against the Delta variant is still building up,” said Mr Ong, noting that Sinovac recently submitted the required safety data for its application for approval under thePandemic Special Access Route.

Currently, only thePfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty and Moderna mRNA vaccines are approved under the Pandemic Special Access Route for use in Singapore’s national vaccination programme.

The Sinovac vaccine iscurrently allowedto be administered in Singapore under the special access route, after it was approved for emergency use by the World Health Organization (WHO).

“The Health Sciences Authority and our expert committee are going through the various data. When the evidence justifies it, we will certainly want to extend the concessions to individuals who have received the Sinovac or other vaccines which may qualify,” said Mr Ong.

Authorities previously said that there will be differentiated safe management measures for people vaccinated under the national programme.

For instance, beforegoing back to Phase 2 (Heightened Alert), authorities announced that peoplewho are fully vaccinatedmay be allowed togather in groups of up to eight,while the five-person limit will apply to those who arenot fully vaccinated under the national programme.

Those who have received the Sinovac vaccine alsodo not count towards the national vaccination targets. This is because there is still little data on the vaccines efficacy against COVID-19 variants of concern, said the Health Ministry’s director of medical services Associate Professor Kenneth Mak earlier this month.

SINOVAC TAKE-UP

As of Jul 25, about 72,000 people have received at least one dose of the Sinovac vaccine, and about 17,000 individuals have received their second doses, Mr Ongsaid.

Among them, 28 per cent are Singaporeansand they are “mostly” young, he added.

“For those who have taken the Sinovac vaccine and are seniors above 60 yearsold, only … less than 10 per cent are Singaporeans,” he said.

As of Jul 9, HSA received 10 reports of adverse events after vaccination with Sinovac, comprising mainly allergic reactions such as itch and rashes, said the Health Minister.

He added that if the supply of200,000 doses that the Government procured is insufficient to cater to the demand for Sinovac vaccines, private clinics can bring in additional supplies.

Source From: https://www.channelnewsasia.com

Comments are closed.